When it comes to monitoring Twitter, you probably need a little help. The rapid pace of content being flung into the Twittersphere, means brand and social media managers have to continually search, analyze and select in order to gain the most value from Twitter.
You know what really helps? Having a great Twitter monitoring tool up your sleeve. Twitter monitoring tools help to find the important tweets and separate them from the noise. They allow you to respond much more quickly. be ‘in the know’ and have the chance to react in realtime – just like your audience.
Here are some of the benefits of using a Twitter monitoring tool as part of your social media strategy:
- Listen to customers – your customers are talking about your brand online. Whether they’re asking for help, sharing feedback or talking to others, it’s important you see the tweets that surround your online reputation.
- Find opportunity – by monitoring specific users, hashtags and keywords you can find opportunities for new business, new customers or trends that your brand could join in with.
- React fast – when monitoring Twitter relies on someone logging into Twitter or Tweetdeck and scrolling through mentions, replies become much slower. In a crisis situation, or when your customers need an urgent response, Twitter monitoring tools help you react much faster.
- Manage teamwork – when everyone’s logging into Twitter separately it can become difficult to assign responsibility and see entire conversations. Some of the tools below will help you to manage your Twitter inbox much more effectively and reply to messages in-app.
Twitter Monitoring Tools Top 5
For the purpose of this article, we’ve narrowed our analysis down to (what we’ve found) to be four of the best Twitter monitoring tools on the current social media monitoring market, plus our own tool, Twilert. We’ve also focused solely on Twitter tools rather than wider social media monitoring tools as we find that Twitter is often the priority when it comes to monitoring online conversations more effectively.
The criteria we used to make our analysis was based on:
- Type of app
- Free trial and plan offerings
- Most desirable features
- Effectiveness of monitoring function
- Any missing features
- Typical customers
- What people say about it online
So without further ado, here is the analysis of the top five Twitter monitoring tools for brands, social media managers, agencies and government bodies. Let us know what you think!
Hootsuite for Twitter Monitoring
Hootsuite is a social media marketing tool, available as a web, mobile, and desktop top, for monitoring, scheduling and managing tweets (amongst other social media channels). Hootsuite’s Professional and Team plans offer a 30-day free trial with no credit card required for all of their plan levels.
One of Hootsuite’s key selling points is its free plan. This allows you to manage up to three Twitter profiles for scheduling and monitoring purposes. Once you’ve surpassed this, you’ll need to choose from one of the Hootsuite plans which start from £7.99 per month.
Now on to the monitoring aspect. You might be forgiven for thinking that Hootsuite is solely an auto schedule tool. It boasts a series of impressive features which make scheduling tweets so easy! Hootsuite even has an iOS app designed specifically to send you content suggestions that you can add to your feed.
When it comes to monitoring Hootsuite allows you to add columns so that you can monitor specific Twitter keywords, users or mentions. These can also be grouped into ‘themes’, which is a nice feature allowing you to segregate each list/search/mention column relating to a specific handle or brand.
— vanessabley (@vanessabley) July 12, 2016
In conclusion: Hootsuite is probably one of the best tools for managing AutoScheduling of tweets. Its custom content selector tool, plus its ability to schedule tweets with link shortening means it’s geared up for sharing content rather than reacting to it. Like Tweetdeck, which we’ll go onto shortly, its interface isn’t the slickest when compared to other tools. That being said, it is one of the cheaper tools for managing multiple accounts so could potentially be useful for agencies and social media managers where quantity is key and where scheduling is more important than monitoring.
Twilert Twitter Monitoring Tool
If you didn’t catch it earlier, Twilert is our monitoring tool. Here, we’ll tell you a little bit about what it does and where it sits against the others tools on the market.
Twilert is a Twitter monitoring tool that sends you alerts when your keywords, hashtags or users are mentioned on Twitter. Twilert offers a 30-day free trial to all users, with the option to upgrade to the ‘Basic’ plan for $9 per month at the end of the trial. For additional features such as whitelabeling, email groups, and real-time email alerts, users can upgrade to the Pro or Agency plans.